Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere. You do not have to experience poor weather to injure yourself in a slip and fall, either. While most occur on wet, icy, or slippery surfaces, falls can also occur from tripping over objects, flooring issues, uneven surfaces, etc. Most people will encounter at least one fall in their life – and it may not be their fault.
Building owners, retail stores, homeowners, parking lot owners, and walkway managers must provide a specific level of safety for those that use these areas. If you are injured on someone’s property because the owner failed to maintain a certain level of safety, you may have a premise liability claim against the owner for his or her negligence. Compensation in these types of cases can include medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
What to Do Immediately After an Accident
The steps that you take immediately after a slip and fall will greatly determine the outcome of your case. These include:
- Seek Medical Attention Right Away – After an accident, you need medical attention. Your health should be your top priority, and slip and fall accidents often cause injuries that you cannot see outright. Also, documenting your injuries immediately after they occur can help, if you choose to seek compensation later.
- Report the Accident – You will need to report the accident to the proper party, such as the manager of the grocery store or the owner of a home. If you are reporting to a business, request that you receive a copy of the accident or incident report immediately.
- Stay Calm – Nothing can hinder an injury claim more than someone acting inappropriately, becoming irrational, or even making threats. While you have been injured, realize that seeking treatment and professional assistance will yield better results.
- Take Photographs – If you cannot take photographs of the scene, have a friend or family member do it for you. These photographs should show the condition that caused your accident – such as ice patches on a sidewalk.
- Get Information – You will need to collect information for the owner, including name, phone numbers, and contact addresses.
- Contact an Attorney – After an injury, it is imperative that you seek representation from a premise liability attorney. An attorney can help represent your claim in court, but also help preserve evidence to prove your claim.
Contact a PA Personal Injury Attorney Now
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact The Slocum Firm, P.C. today. Our expert attorneys are here to help you through this difficult time, and will work as your advocates. It does not matter how many cases we have – you will feel as though you are truly the only case on our docket. See the difference yourself by scheduling a consultation with one of our experienced slip and fall attorneys at 888-367-4577, or fill out our online contact form with your legal questions. We look forward to speaking with you.